Our Undergrad Coordinator asked us to install a new software package named “ScanTron ParTEST”. It’s an end-to-end software solution for creating and grading tests. It’s a pretty neat idea, but the implementation of the software is obviously from the early 90’s and has never been upgraded. This post covers installation.
- Download the latest software update for ParTEST “Network Edition” from the Scantron Updates Page.
- Create a new active directory group: “ParTest Users” and add yourself to this group.
- Run setup.exe from the original installation media.
- On the ‘Verifying DAO’ dialog box click “OK”.
- On the ‘Welcome’ screen of the installation wizard click “Next”.
- On the ‘License Agreement’ screen click “Next”.
- On the ‘User Information’ screen fill out the licensing information then click “Next”.
- On the ‘Choose Destination Location’ screen click “Next”.
- When warned that the install location is not a network drive click “Yes” to continue.
- On the ‘Select Program Folder’ screen click “Next”.
- Wait for the prerequisites and actual installation to complete.
- On the ‘Complete’ screen, click “Finish”.
- Next, run the software update file downloaded previously.
- On the ‘Welcome to ParTEST LAN Maintenance Release’ screen, choose “Modify” then click “Next”.
- On the ‘Maintenance Complete’ screen click “Finish”.
- Finally, run the following command from the command prompt on the server:
net share partest=”C:\ParTESTWIN LAN” /grant:”DOMAIN\partest users”,CHANGE /cache:none
To verify installation, on a workstation visit \\servername\partest and attempt to run “ParTESTWin.exe”. The default username is administrator, and the default password is ‘partest’. Also, I’ve noticed that the software won’t run for me as a domain admin over RDP on the server itself. However, running it in a windows 7 workstation with full roaming profiles and folder redirection seems to work fine. Our Partest server is a dedicated Windows Server 2008 R2 VM on vSphere.
I hope this clears things up if you’re handed this software!