Alright! We’ve got inbound and outbound email configured for SCSM. Pretty sweet. Now let’s look at work item creation straight from the email client.
Here’s what it will look like:
- Create two folders in your helpdesk email account: create-new-incident and create-new-service-request.
- When you want to create a new work item from an email, just move the email to the corresponding folder.
Here’s what we need to make SCORCH do:
- Check an email account’s specific subfolders.
- Create a corresponding work item with a title based off of the email’s subject line.
- If the work item is to be a service request, create a new review activity, modify its properties, and add it to the work item.
- Figure out who the affected user should be based on the sender’s address, and relate it to the work item.
- (optional) Figure out who’s ‘department group’ that the user belongs to in AD, and relate it to the work item. We do this for accounting and reporting purposes.
- Write the contents of the email body into a comment, and relate it to the work item.
To do this, we’ll use five runbooks:
These runbooks will be detailed in subsequent blog posts.