I’ve been working on a vCenter Management Pack for Operations Manager for a little over 4 weeks. I was driven to create this MP as an open alternative to nWorks since it’s so incredibly pricey! It doesn’t work nearly as well as nWorks, and it’s -really-, REALLY rough. I also haven’t done much documentation or testing. I’m posting it here in case anyone wants to poke around and test it out, or even help with the development! (wishful thinking, I’m sure).
Features left until 1.0:
- Collect some Host and Datastore performance counters
- Collect vSphere events
Features planned for 2.0:
- Standardized, defensively programmed, optimized scripts
- Documented MP Elements
- Rules and Alerts on MP misconfiguration
To get it going:
- Install OpsMgr Command Shell and VMWare PowerCLI on your vCenter server.
- Install a VM for syslog collection. This will need OpsMgr Command Shell and VMWare PowerCLI as well. Configure the syslog receiver per this post: Monitoring ESXi Syslogs with OpsMgr 2007 R2 (Part 1).
- Import the MP.
- Add your vCenter Server and Syslog Collection server as ‘MOM Operators’.
- Change the discoveries to a shorter time if you’d like. Be careful though, they can cause significant load!
Download Here: JPPacks.VMWare.vCenter
For the download, see my latest post (sorry, you might have to search around a bit).
Good luck, let me know if it works for you. I’ll keep this post updated when I release new versions. It likely won’t be useful for at least a month.